Vegan Alfredo Sauce
*You will need a high speed blender or food processor.
1/2 cup whole raw organic cashews
1 cup boiling water
1/2 medium white or yellow onion, chopped
1 or 2 garlic cloves, minced
3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
Cauliflower florets, from 1 large head of cauliflower
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water from cooked cauliflower (either works fine)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 lemon, juiced (approx. 1 TBSP)
1 TBSP nutritional yeast (you can find this in the natural foods section of larger
grocery stores or at a health food store.) This is a great "cheesy" substitute. Plus, it is
loaded with nutrients. Try it on eggs, pasta, veggies, salads. Anything that you might
put parmesan cheese on.
1) Soak cashews in boiling water for 30 or more minutes.
2) Saute' onions and garlic over medium heat for 8 minutes or until soft and translucent.
3)Cook cauliflower florets, in medium saucepan w/lid, with water or broth, for
approximately 8 minutes. Until soft, but not mushy.
4) Drain cashews and add all ingredients to blender or food processor.
5) Blend until smooth.
6) Add additional broth/water for desired consistency.
7) For a cheesier flavor you can add additional lemon juice and/or nutritional yeast.
*for pesto sauce- Combine 1 cup parsley, 1 cup basil leaves, 2 tablespoons olive oil
and 2 tablespoons pinenuts or walnuts, in blender or food processor.
You can also add a few tablespoons of prepared pesto (found in most health food
stores near hummus and salsa).